[[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leilou

A question about World Chat restrictions

4 posts in this topic

In CTB tonight, another player chose to speak in his native tongue (spanish) in World Chat. I, unfortunately, didn't save a screenshot of GM Neoma Llama's initial response before it was no longer accessible, but she had stated how only the English language is allowed in World Chat. She had confirmed how the reason behind this was people may say inappropriate things in another language. If I do say so myself, the current derogatory language filter catches and filters words that are appropriate to use and doesn't filter words that are actually inappropriate. In any case, when this other player continued to speak in the language he felt most comfortable with, the screenshot below shows GM Neoma Llama's response.

query.JPG.c8957d7fb615c7f88785d88bfc9d74

Are people truly not allowed to speak in a language other than English in World Chat? If so, shouldn't there be a translating program easily accessible within the game so players may comply more efficiently and effectively? It seems discriminatory to punish or "mute" players simply because they don't speak the same language. 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Leilou said:

If I do say so myself, the current derogatory language filter catches and filters words that are appropriate to use and doesn't filter words that are actually inappropriate.

I agree, the filter as is doesn't even make sense when some more insulting words are not even filtered (and this is in ENGLISH)

It filters:

• damn
  •  (, ),  and #  (although this is understandable because payers can load html codes into the game if it weren't. Not sure why the game has no restrictions in that aspect instead of filtering said characters.)
  • die
  • jerk (no reason to filter this word. Why can't I tell someone to "stop being a jerk" as opposed to "stop being an ass")
  • several actual curse words
  • chicken
  • YOU
  • * (No idea why this is filtered, I commonly use these to let people know I'm correcting my typos)

Yet it DOES NOT filter:

• ass
  • whore
  • cunt
  • kill
  • murder

I explained in world chat that the english language was required so that everyone is aware of what is being said. I have caught numerous people swearing in World Chat in another language, specifically Finn Rose. Othello had been speaking english most of the night, and his comment right after mine apologizing in english and saying he would not do it again showed he was pushing him limit. The warnings were made public because more than 1 player was doing so. Communication in chats in other language, other than project language, except official translitas, it against game rules

Words are translated from Russian to English and some words don't mean the same things at they do to those that speak english.

You do understand how I already explained your point, right? I specifically typed this out in an objective non-personal way to point out this particular flaw in the game, not as an attack on you. Reiterating what I said then making justifications for it, does not create a solution. I think it is ridiculous, which by the way is a word I can't type out since it's filtered, they don't have a way to accommodate those who speak other languages. Othello had said he used google translate to communicate in English. I don't know if you've used it or not, but I can tell you it is a pain. He can't just copy and paste. He has to go back and forth between the game and the translator to type everything in. This can be time consuming and tedious. It isn't right how in order to speak and converse with others over WC, he is forced to do this every time he needs to say something. Instead of being able to talk with someone who understands his language briefly through these means. There is no other option for him or others like him, which is what my issue is. I thought I made that very clear in my original statement. I will point this out, again, since it seems to have missed you.  I understand how the words are translated from Russian to English. The fact of how we can't use words that are appropriate in English because they are offensive in Russian doesn't strike you as the least bit ironic...when considering this topic? Another piece of irony is how it is to prevent the use of foul language and yet there are words that are inappropriate words to use in English which slip through because they aren't deemed inappropriate in Russian. These are things they could easily fix, if they gave even a half a thought about improving this game...or took the time to listen to critiques of their customers. The fact is, I posted this because it bothered me how the game rules essentially ostracize and limit players outside of English speaking countries while hypocritically not adhering to these standards by actually formulating the filter to correctly recognize appropriate and inappropriate words in English. Let me repeat, the game creators made and have been neglecting these issues. You were implementing the rules and I used the screenshot to inquire about them. I'm sorry you took it personally, as I would have done this regardless of who applied it. Unless you have any solutions to offer, I suggest using your time more constructively. 

2 people like this